questions about iritis

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

CrohnsKiller

questions about iritis

Post by CrohnsKiller »

I have Crohn's related iritis. Currently my gut symptoms are in check with Entyvio and Imuran, but I'm flaring with Crohn's related arthritis and iritis. I have several questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Should Imuran be technically keeping the iritis in check?
2. Is Methotrexate better at controlling iritis than Imuran?
3. When is it necessary to use the dilating drops for iritis? Does this prevent scarring? Does this only depend on how inflamed you are?
4. Does iritis temporarily affect your luminal ring or is that the prednisone drops, and will this eventually resolve?
5. How often do you have to flare with iritis for it to permanently affect your vision? I realize this is a personal thing, and it probably varies dependent upon several factors, but if I'm flaring 2-3 times a year, how likely will that cause permanent vision loss.

Thanks for anyone who can help me.
vancouver

Re: questions about iritis

Post by vancouver »

Susceptibility to adhesions varies. I produce fibrin so more susceptible.granulomatous cells might make it more likely. I had hardcore adhesions with no pain.
I usually catch early and don't dilate. If u have pain, prolly need dilation. If in doubt ,dilate . I've found that meds don't blur vision. When blurring occurs, you know you have at least 1 plus cells so dilating is a good idea. With experience, you will learn your susceptibility. Pain seems to occur when the iris is sufficiently inflamed. At that point, amy movement of iris will elicit pain. Cells block
Light and blur vision. Iritis patients have very different
Experiences.

High Frequency does not necessarily cause vision loss.
Vision loss is rare. A lot depends on how much steroid you need and whether your pressure is affected and by how much. Speed of onset and how good you are at early detection are factors. Severity of attack. Some people manage to get retinal swelling. I not sure how that happens.

Iritis is rare and the vast majority if cases are easily treated so that leaves small number of people with difficult iritis.