Lens stuck to pupil

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

NDR

Lens stuck to pupil

Post by NDR »

Hi Everyone,
I have suffered with 4 attacks of iritis between the age of 17 and 38... I'm now 45.
The first 3 bouts caused slight pupil damage however the last attack approximately 10 years ago has left me with a permanently dialated pupil due to the pupil becoming stuck to the lens. At the time I attended the eye hospital and was told that they could not do anything for me so I've continued to just live with it. I was however told that it was related to chicken pox and shingles which was just prior to the first attack. All blood tests were negative.

I came across this site and wonder if anyone has been told the same thing in the past and if there are any new eye drops and/or surgery that would help dislodge the pupil from the lens.

Would love to hear from anyone with a similar story.

Thank you
Nicola
vancouver

Re: Lens stuck to pupil

Post by vancouver »

Do u mean a synechiae? It normally is not a problem. I have one. They can be fixed when the lens is replaced. Pardon my ignorance, but how could a synechiae occur on your fourth episode of iritis? Dont you have dilating drugs and steroids in the fridge? Is your iritis extremely hard to control?
Is is granulomitous? My iritis is nongranulomitous. Not sticky. My iritis however is very strong. I check my eyes each day fir redness so i catch it early and easily avoid synechiae.
Synechiae can be problem if it is big. Ie pressure problem.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Im not sure if your pupil is larger. Synechiae makes it look larger but it is just the iris stuck to lens . The area where the iris sticks to lens looks black like a pupil. This is my understanding.
Sometimes the iris can be damaged and be permanently dilated but that is different from a synechiae.
kwork

Post by kwork »

So synechiaes normally make the pupil look out of shape because it doesn't consistently stick in a perfect circle. Mine made it pull out sort of like a tear drop look. If you are fully dilated this could be another problem.
Iritis.org Administrator
ellenpalin

Post by ellenpalin »

NDR - I would be interested to know if you found any more information on this?

My iris has stuck to the lens in the dilated position, and I stopped my dilating driops over 3 months ago now. My consultant advised that 'it might work itself free', otherwise surgery to release it is an option. In the meantime he gave me Pilocarpine drops to try and close it, but these are not working.

Have you made any progress with your eye? I am also considering a contact lens as a cosmetic solution, but this would have to be custom made and would be expensive.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Iris sticks to lens capsule, not the lens. Capsule not replaceable. I have no pain when mine sticks. Causes damage. Bad. Mine stuck while dilated but released by itself. I rushed to emergency when mine stuck but doc said go home. These idiot docs butcher iritis treatment.
Samuraiilife

Post by Samuraiilife »

I’ve dealt with the same thing . But my pupil goes to a normal round circle when not dilated, but when dilated it has this tear drop shape. It’s strange . Do you guys think this will return to normal once the iritis flare up goes away ?