Iritis pain

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

mlynndcats

Iritis pain

Post by mlynndcats »

I was diagnosed with anterior uveitis in my right eye on November 12, 2015. Started on Pred Forte 6 times a day. Eye was dilated by opthalmologist with super strong drop (still dilated 3 days later). I have had this before, but I don't remember it ever hurting even after 3 days of steroids and dilation. Is that normal? This attack was different from my previous attacks. It started the same day I got new glasses. First blurred vision, then eye pain, but no redness. Thought it was eye strain, but pain did not go away when switched to old glasses. Saw my eye doctor who diagnosed it as anterior uveitis. Said she saw several cells amd my eye pressure was 15. I was told I could continue dilation if pain continued. Guess I am just frustrated that I have missed work because of the blurred vision. I am also taking an antibiotic (Doxy) for my blepharitis. Any idea if the continued pain with eye movement is normal?
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Iritis pain

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

often pain is associated with adhesion between the iris and the lens from what is known as synechia formation, basically pus like accumulation. getting inflammation down is key to getting the pain to go away in most cases. brow pain can also be present. if you see 'flashes of light' this could be sing of a detaching retina or optic neuritis. get to a doctor right away if this occurs. usually dilating the eye relaxes the muscle that causes the 'pain' associated with iritis in the eye. if the iris isn't adhered to the lens, then other causes have to be explored. if it is the surface of the eye that is hurting and the eye is extremely red, it could be that you have scleritis going on which would require use of other drugs. do you have dry eyes> this can be linked to forms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases as can the iritis.
things seen with severe dry eyes can be tested for. some are: GI problems, arthritis, sarcoidosis, systemic Lupus erythematosus, Sjogren's syndrome, viruses and bacteria.

Wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
kwork

Post by kwork »

The pain that you talk about is how I know a flareup is coming. It feels like a dull eye ache. Sometimes I can barely see red around the iris when it comes on.

I don't know if the prescription change caused it or not but think of it like this: when you have arthritis you can do normal work in the yard and then your joint gets inflamed. So even the slightest change in your body can sometime lead to inflammation.

Mike I used to get synechias all the time. I actually had an optometrist use a computer hooked up to a microscope to take a picture of it. I really wish I knew where the picture was so i could post.
Iritis.org Administrator
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Your attack must be mild or you caught it early. The dilating drops discourage the iris from adhering to lens. I was on dilating drops and steroids (hourly) fir month even though i started after 16 days and eye was clearing up on its own.
Im a bit jealous.