Methotrexate, cellcept and imuran

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Traciediehl

Methotrexate, cellcept and imuran

Post by Traciediehl »

I am about to have a blood test to see if I am HBLA27 positive. I was recommended to take one of the above drugs for my chronic uveitis. I have researched them and they all sound really scary. Isn't there anything else out there? Has anyone else ever been otherwise healthy and been put on one of them? What were your side effects? I am not sure what to do. I am feeling like I have to be the decision maker, my eye Dr didn't even want to research the effects of gluten on uveitis. I mentioned the blood test and methotrexate. He is sending me to my general practitioner for the blood test and methotrexate discussion. He didn't seem to know too much about them. I have been to the Casey Eye institute in Portland, OR. And got no answers.

I am frustrated because I think that I am becoming resistant to Durezol. I have been dealing with this last bout of inflammation since June 28 and its now Sept.

Does anyone have any words of advice?
kwork

Re: Methotrexate, cellcept and imuran

Post by kwork »

I can give you some info on Methotrexate but haven't been on the others. In the past I took MTX along with remicade infusions. It worked really well. I'll be honest though, MTX is a nasty drug. I could tolerate it but, the side effects the day I took it were pretty bad. Just made me nauseous and feel bad all day. It's almost like you have the flu every week for that day. My concoction of medicine is to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis, which helps my iritis.

hope this helps.

-Kevin
Iritis.org Administrator
MizQue

Post by MizQue »

I have been gluten free since January to try to combat my joint pain caused by psoriatic arthritis. While my joint pain has improved, unfortunately I have had uveitis twice since going gluten free. So, for me, gluten free has not impacted my uveitis.

Miz Que
Traciediehl

Post by Traciediehl »

Thank you, Kevin and Miz. I am in the waiting mode to finally wean off Durezol. I am also waiting to see if I am HBLA27 positive. I am not sure abt the gluten free helping me, but I am hopeful. Thanks again for your replies.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Contact DR Rosenbaum at Casey eye institute in the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Clinic. his is a rheumatologist and expert in diagnosis and treatment of this stuff and can supervise treatment with the drugs and drug combinations required to stop the inflammatory processes.

wishing you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz