Putting in eyedrops (tips and tricks)

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Patrina

Putting in eyedrops (tips and tricks)

Post by Patrina »

So, I have iritis (obviously), and I won't be going into details here (thus is my first bout, but it's likely that I have AS because my brother has it; so, a joyous feature of recurrent eye issues stiffening joints [i dont even have joint pain...] each spring is probably in my future).

That's not what I need help with, though. I'm really really bad at putting eye drops in my own (right) eye. I've tried everything, from looking in the mirror to using my nose as a "guide" to putting it in the tear duct. I have cleaned my face with Durezol because of this (even with insurance, this is expensive at $45~ a pop; two trips to the eye doc with insurance). I'm unfortunately right handed and find that putting an eye drop in with my left hand to be difficult (or holding my eye open with my left hand to be an awkward trial). Part of it is I have never put anything in my eye before. I'm averse to that idea, so my hand shakes like an old woman who has a trimmer in it. I need help, otherwise I'll have to have an injection in the eye (and I won't have anyone with me if I do because I'm moving to a new city...)

Is there any advice you guys can give? Is there any easy way to do this? I'm afraid it's getting worse again (it was up to 3+, but is now down to trace to 1+ with spill over into the intermediate cavity/jell, but "draining" out) and I was only able to get it in with my dad's help (he will not be coming to said new city; I will be on my own. I'm in a bind, legally and contractually, I cannot not move because of this). This all started three weeks ago this coming thursday...