"Retrain" immune system

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

markmine

"Retrain" immune system

Post by markmine »

Hello Mike. I been dealing with iritis for about the last 13 years. Luckily it's been controlled with predforte drops, NSAIDs and two injections. And I'm also lucky to be located near boston and a patient of Dr. Foster. My last iritis flare was about 11 months ago. About 3 months ago I developed a scleritis flare in my right eye. Dr Foster had me use durezol drops and celebrex and the flare lasted about 2 weeks. My eyes were quit until about 4 days ago and I started predforte immediately and got an appointment at MERSI. I started the predforte on Saturday and got an appointment on Monday morning. The doc I saw (Dr. Foster was in surgery) said my eyes were quite and asked if I was still taking the celebrex, which I wasn't. He said that I need to take the celebrex every day for 2 years to retrain my immune system. I also have a pacemaker so I'm nervous about taking a higher dose of celebrex for so long. My heart doc said it was ok. I know I'm in good hands with Dr. Foster, but are there any concerns I should have about taking such high doses for a long time even if I'm feeling good? I'm hla-b27 positive, but no definitive diagnosis for a systematic disease... I was told I may have AS, or reiters or psoriasis. Right now, I pretty much pain free, the problem are the eyes flaring up. I'm going to do what Dr. Foster recommends, but I'm just wondering if you have any insight or questions I should ask regarding other meds. Thanks for your support.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: "Retrain" immune system

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

the HLA B27 haplotype is linked to psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and to the GI problems Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, OR you can just have uveitis, it isn't set in stone that you will get one of the above conditions.
you can also get other conditions even though they aren't 'linked' to the HLA B27 gene.
Dr Foster can guide you best regarding meds. send him an email at MERSI, you don't need an appointment. just give your name, and he can look you up and comment to you.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Hudsongrl

Post by Hudsongrl »

Mike can anyone contact Dr. foster or just previous patients. I would so go there if he were closer. I am in Chicago, but if I don't improve would still consider a trip. I am originally from Ohio. Who is the doc there that is so highly regarded? At Ohio State University?
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you can see DR Dino Klisovic in Columbus, Ohio who trained under DR Foster. contact information at http://www.uveitis.org in the PATIENT information section of the site. DR Debra Goldstein and Dr Tessler are in Chicago area too. DR Foster's site is the above link. he is in The Boston, MASS, area. you can contact any of them privately but may require prior approval through insurance or referral by you Primary care physician.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Hudsongrl

Post by Hudsongrl »

Thanks. I know about Debra Goldstein and am open to seeing her if need be. I sm seeing Dr. Byron Tabbut now and love him.