Roascea causing Iritis

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Phillygirl

Roascea causing Iritis

Post by Phillygirl »

I was never a member or posted on this website when I was suffering from iritis but I did come here for support and ideas on how to rid myself of this terrible disorder. I have been blessed with a recent diagnoses which my docs explain may be the cause of my iritis and I became a member of this site to share this with you because I couldn’t have dealt with this if it wasn’t for your blogs. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. PLEASE CONSIDER THE POSSIBITY THAT YOU TOO COULD BE GETTING REOCCURING IRITIS DUE TO THIS OTHER COMMON EYE/SKIN CONDITION – ROSACEA/BLEPHARONCONJUNCTIVITIS/OCULAR ROSACEA. Background: I had reoccurring iritis for over 2 yrs. My doctor ran appropriate blood work to test for genetics and possible immune system disease – all negative (thankfully). My doc said I am of a large percentage of people who suffer from iritis and they don’t know why. So, every new flare up involved me starting pred or Lotemax and then calling doc who would advise me to put drops in so many times a day and then schedule a follow-up apt so he could check my eyes. Fortunately, meds worked and then doc would advise to wean off them after treatment was effective. But, it seemed as though I would only get off the meds for a few weeks and then another flare-up. Scary, painful, depressing and frustrating. Well, I admit sometimes I would just go through the medication process myself (so expensive to keep going to doc). During my last three flare-ups I went through two of them medicating without calling doc. Several weeks went by after second and then I had the third UGH! This time I immediately called the doc (only had pain one day) and the receptionist wanted to make the apt for next day. I explained to her that doc usually waited a week or so before seeing me (once I had medicated for a while) but she insisted so I gave in because I had not seen him for the past two flare ups and I was scared something could be wrong. So after ONLY one day of pain, etc., and only two drops of Lotemax I went in to see doc. This was the best thing I could have done!!! RESULTS: When my doc saw me he said I see no signs of iritis (cells, etc.). I was shocked because I was in pain and had classic iritis symptoms. He said my eyes definitely were infected though and said he finally thinks that he knows where iritis coming from. He said not immune system but from infection as a result of Rosacea and plugged eyelids. He explained that the eyelids get plugged from the skin not shedding properly (due to Rosacea) and then conjunctivitis/infection starts up and then goes to the iritis. On this day my doc diagnosed me with Blepharoconjunctivitis. Two important things happened that day: First, doc saw me at the very beginning stages of my pain, etc., which did not ever happen throughout the two years suffering with iritis, because I would have already had a TOTAL flare up by the time I would get apt and then infection would have advanced INTO Iritis. I think it is safe to say that most patients do not get appointment to see their doc until they are in the iritis stage. The timing of this doctor appointment saved me and was MOST instrumental in proper diagnosis of my iritis.
Secondly, I felt so awful the day of doc apt. that I did not wear make-up. This was instrumental in my diagnosis because I have hardly noticeable Roascea on my cheeks, easily covered by my makeup. I have learned that patients DO NOT have to have any Roascea on their face/body to get Roascea in the eyelids, but my doc seeing my little Roascea on the face along with the condition of my eyes (lids plugged) helped him determine this was my problem. So, for all of you trying to find the reason you are getting reoccurring iritis this may be the case. Try these instructions from my doc for caring for plugged eyelids (easy and simple) and see if perhaps your iritis flares discontinue like mine have for the last four months. These are my docs instructions to keep those eyelids unplugged and like I said has helped me for last FOUR MONTHS !!!
1. Continue to take your prescribed meds until properly wean from them. (Mine was Lotemax and I was weaned off about a week after my doc apt. but have not taken it for four months now.)
2. ALL MAKE-UP must be thrown out (buy all new) and DO NOT wear eye make up for at least a week. (remember this is infection going into iritis not coming from immune system)
3. Every morning put warm to hot (but not too hot) compresses on my eyes for FIVE minutes and gently rub side to side. I do this by taking a warm/hot wet washcloth (baby washcloths are great cause they are soft and small) on my eyes and GENTLY rub side to side to unplug those pores. It doesn’t take long and soon becomes part of your washing habits like brushing your teeth.
4. After washcloth compresses, I use eyelid wipes. You can use Systane wipes (cheapest at Shop Rite stores) or drug store brands (all good). I use ONE for EACH eye (never use the same on both the eyes cause could spread infections if you have one brewing). Follow instructions on box which tells you to again gently rub on eyes (these wipes DO NOT sting, they are a little sudsy to clean the eyelid area) in a side to side motion. You can also use a small drop of baby shampoo as a cleanser also on a washcloth rubbing side to side to clean the eyelids. This is more cost effective than the wipes.
5. In the evening/night I again put warm/hot compresses (while in shower, etc.) and rub gently side to side. Important that you do treatment to BOTH eyes even if it is only one affected (my left is my problem eye but I also put compresses/clean right eye).

Also, if at other times during the day my eyes seem tired, gritty or irritated, etc. (you know the feeling!) I again put warm/hot washcloths on my eyes and it just makes them feel better. Sometimes I notice after being outside (allergies) this will make my eyes feel wonderful.
I was also advised by my doctor that above eyelid care MUST be done every day (this condition is persistent even if no symptoms) because they eyelids will always be possibly plugged as a result of rosacea.
Note: You can google “rosacea in eyelids or ocular roascea” and get instructions on how to clean your eyelids. But, ironically when you google ocular rosacea, I only came across a small side note that it ocular rosacea can advance into iritis. Wouldn’t it be something if most of our iritis problems were rosacea induced and were resolved by this daily cleaning habit.
REMEMBER: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE REAL MUCUS FILLED EYELIDS OR ROSACEA ON YOUR FACE TO HAVE PLUGGED EYELIDS.
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT IN THE PAST! I DIDN’T WANT TO BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO USE A BLOG FOR SUPPORT AND THEN WHEN FEELING BETTER OR HEALTH ISSUE RESOLVED NEVER SHARES THEIR STORY OR SUCCESSFUL INFORMATION. I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU LIKE IT HAS ME. TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS.