If You Have a Problem

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

mtbargeman

If You Have a Problem

Post by mtbargeman »

Hello!

I saw my PCP today. As many of you know, I have not been in active treatment for my Uveitis for over a year now. I have a painful flare going on now. I had a problem, believing I could not go back to my former eye guy b/c of a bill I screwed up that got sent to collections. I told my PCP about the situation, and he told me to try to get an appointment anyway. I did, and it worked. Apparently, there was no record of my being kicked out.

The moral of the story is that no matter what, you can almost always work with your doc's office and get the care you need. SO I go see a great doc recommended by Dr. Foster himself this coming Monday. Yay!Monday will be a good day, even if I get injections in both eyes.

Take Good Care, Yall
Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Re: If You Have a Problem

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Mary,
I'm so glad you are getting in Today and I hope that this can be quelled quickly for you and that something besides your current drugs can be found to stop all of this soon.

Please give us an update when you get the chance,

wish you the very best my friend,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Dear Mike-

Several important issues led to me reschedule my appointment for today. First and foremost, I did not enough gas for a 175-mile round trip. Secondly, I have a kidney full of stones and am in terrible pain. I see a Urologist tomorrow. What cash I have I need to use to get meds for that doc ASAP. Not treating stones can lead to kidney failure, which would almost negate the bad eye problems. This could be the reason for the current flare, as well. I PROMISE- I'll keep the next appointment, but right now, I've got to make sure my urinary system is ok. I may be facing a stent placement, which I HATE, :twisted: since it hurts like you are passing a stone every time you pee for 6-8 weeks while it is in place. I won't know til tomorrow. I am still doing everything I can do to distract myself B/C my kidneys REALLY hurt. So I decided to check the board. I hope your trip went well- I hope it was a fun trip.

(((((HUGS,Mikey)))
Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

did they try ultrasound to break up the stones?
do you have elevated calcium levels in your serum? do you have elevated vitamin D3? or low vitamin D3?
you have some underlying autoimmune disease that isn't diagnosed. increased calcium with low vitamin D3 is sometimes seen in Sarcoidosis patients (16% of pars planitis patients have sarcoidosis) which can also have hearing problems, dry eyes, kidney problems, heart etc problems with it. were your ACE levels checked during routine tests? SLE can also have similar stuff with kidney and hearing affected. lung involvement with SLE can occur too. optic neuritis is common in both conditions as is neovascularization of the retina. CNS problems similar to MS occur. transeverse myeltitis with optic neuritis is called neuromyelitis optica with a test: NMO IgG antbody available. commonly associated with SLE and Sjogren's syndrome.
do you have clotting factors present? with SLE the SMITH antibody (ANTI SM) is common. amyloidosis can be present so anticardiolipin antobodies should be checked as well as other clotting factors.

wish you a speedy recovery from the kidney stone problem and I hope that you can save some funds for the trip to see DR S.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))
mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Hi, Mike!

Just got in from the Uro. FINALLY got some pain meds. Ugh. Took a regular Xray of my abdomen, to see if the stone is large enough for lithotripsy. HE promised that even if I need lithotripsy, I won't get a stent. YAAAAAAY! I HATE stents- they are absolutely BRUTAL. If none of the stones can be seen on regular X-ray, I will probably be put on a short course of Flomax, or another med usually given to men for swollen prostate. It dialates the ureters, and causes you to be VERY thirsty, thereby allowing the stones to pass with little discomfort. SO I will soon be OK. I have confidence. I rather hope I get the FLomax, tho- Lithotripsy hurts, too. They tell you it doesn't, but it isn't true. It's like getting punched in the back for 10 minutes or so, then hurts for days later. I hated it both times.

I have to seriously curtail my diet now. No milk, cheese (or very little) very little meat, processed foods, to include salad dressings, no leafy greens, no carrots, no CANNED veggies- I have to have frozen. No salt. No Tums, no Rolaids, force and extra half-gallon of fluids each day. Darn it. I JUST put on enough weight to look like a woman!!! Now I am going to end up losing a bunch of weight B/C I can't eat the way I want. Or even like a normal person. I'm going to miss vegetables terribly. I guess I need more vitamins...NOT herbs- vitamins. Plain ol' Geritol.
(Sigh) Oh, well. I'm still breathing, so I'm still a winner. Thanks for listening to me gripe about stuff I can't change.

Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you are changing stuff by being pro active in care. Limited by being on MEDICARE but getting things done anyway.
I hope that flomax will help you pass the stones as the other option isn't very pleasant.
lets hope you are out of pain soon too!
the SARCOIDOSIS boared at NORD has a couple of ladies going through the same thing right now FYI.

Wishing you a pain free day soon
(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
mike
Mike Bartolatz