Evening Primsrose Oil ???

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

newZealand

Evening Primsrose Oil ???

Post by newZealand »

I came down with a severe case of Iritis last October. I'd recently moved to New Zealand from the US the year before. Both eyes were affected, my right eye very badly (the double pupil look, and even now its over sized). I tested HLA-B27 positive and went on Pred Forte for nearly three months before I finally kiced the symptoms.

Twice I experienced flare ups, the first episode being mild - aspirin every six hours plus Selenium (which is defincient in NZ soil) sufficed to bring it under control, but then the symptoms reappeared less than a month later.

I was almost ready to run back to the docter and the Pred Forte drops when by chance I read an odd posting (on some alternative health web site) claiming Evening Primrose Oil SEEMED to relieve the symptoms of Iritis for ONE HLA-B27 sufferer.

I followed the suggested amounts - 6000 mg with each meal the first day, then "working down" (I figured that meant 1000mg per meal less every day) until down to 2 tablets (2000 mg) per meal indefinitly.

Worked for me, although I have no idea of the long term effects of 6000mg of Evening Primrose Oil per day.

Of course, my Iriitis might just be seasonal, having first hit in October, the worst month for allergies down here.

Keep in mind also, this was my ONLY case of what I now know to be a very painful and career threatening disease. I might not be in a good position to judge.

I only offer my experience to be informative, NOT as advice.

Just a note about the website: the type face on the forum is WAY TOO SMALL - when I first came to this Forum last October, I could barely see - probably typical of the average first time user - I think a larger type face would be in order.