New member - job at risk from Iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Frostie

New member - job at risk from Iritis

Post by Frostie »

Hi. I've had, on average, 2 episodes of Iritis per year for the last ten years. My employer has now invoked P&C proceedings and I have a hearing soon at which there's a high likelihood I'll be dismissed due to sickness absences, not all due to eye problems but not helped by two episodes in less than a month this last Summer.

I'm 48, with a similarly long history of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and face an uncertain working future where I can't guarantee to any future employer that my attendance will be any better.

The trouble is that neither condition, but especially Iritis, can be predicted or prevented; I can take the Pred Forte & Cyclopentalate once diagnosed, but that's not always straightforward or quick to get, and it's ten days off before it's anything like better.

So, I need advice on working, benefits, whether part-time work is an answer... How do other working people manage the condition and what's their relationship like with their employers?

I look forward to sharing with you :)