Looking for support/have son with iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Roxy

Looking for support/have son with iritis

Post by Roxy »

My name is Laura and I have a 14 year old son who has been dealing with iritis for about 7 months. He was originally diagnosed in December of 2012. We have been seeing an eye doctor in our hometown and have also seen Dr. Jaffee at Duke Eye Center. We have been using prednisone by mouth as well as Pred Forte eye drops. We have also been using drops to control his eye pressure as it has risen over time. We were clear in one eye and only trace in the other last month and started backing off the Pred Forte ( had been off the prednisone by mouth for a couple of months) and when we went back for a recheck he was back up to +2 in both eyes. He has tested negative for every underlying cause of iritis. What a frustrating illness this is!
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Looking for support/have son with iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group!

sometimes other classes of drugs need to be added to the mix to quiet uveitis in children. sometimes the NSAIDs will help to control iritis and for others they move on to Methotrexate alone or in combination with other classes of drugs. You might discuss this with Dr Jaffe at your next visit. has he been tested for Juvenile Ideopathic Arthritis? does anyone in his immediate family have a history of an autoimmune or inflammatory disease process?

please join the following support group for parents of kids with uveitis at the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation online support group http://www.uosg.org PARENTS forum. I help out there as well as at this site.

http://www.uveitis.org/patients/educati ... ent-guides

wishing you the very best,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz