Introduction

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Michele

Introduction

Post by Michele »

Hi all

My name is Michele and I was diagnosed with iritis two weeks ago. I have been using drops hourly and dilation drops 3 times a day for over a week, but they were having no effect. I had injections two days ago, but so far there still doesn't seem to be an improvement, in fact my eye seems more red and is stinging as well as being even more sensitive to light than it was before.

I have only been on this road for two weeks, but it feels like an eternity already. I know lots of you will have been coping with similar conditions for much longer. If anyone has had similar I would be grateful to hear what I should expect and whether this seems typical of iritis please?

Any words of advice or encouragement would be gratefully received?

Thank you
Michele
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Introduction

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Michele,
your story is the same as many individuals with iritis. do you have an underlying condition causing this? have you been tested for pathogens or autoimmune disease processes associated with uveitis?
do you have an 'ocular immunologist' involved to figure out why you have stubborn iritis?
were you tested for the Gene most often associated with autoimmune uveitis, HLA B27?
do any of your immediate family members have an autoimmune or inflammatory disease process going on?
do you have pets?
do you have digestive system problems or arthritsi?
did you go out of country on vacation to another part of the world where there are many things linked to uveitis?
do you get skin rashes anywhere on your body?
are your nails discolored?
does your index finger swell up?
the ocular immunologist will ask you these type of questions and will then do an exam of your eyes. what he/she sees will guide tests to be done.
have you been sexually active with a new partner in which a STD might be present?

you don't have to answer these questions here, but tell the results to your doctors. in some instances antibiotics are needed to be given along with the steroids. with the red eye increasing on steroids, there might be an infection of the conjunctiva, the membrane over the surface of your eyes. or you might be allergic to the eyedrops usually the preservative in them. another condition called Scleritis could also be presenting along with the uveitis. call your opthalmologist and get in for an evaluation right away.

there is a list of ocular immunologists at http://www.uveitis.org in the PATIENT information section of the site.

wishing you quiet eyes,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz