Low dose prednisone

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

lmblack98

Low dose prednisone

Post by lmblack98 »

I've been having iritis symptoms for 6 months, caused by an ocular shingles infection. I'm taking acyclovir 400 mg twice a day. I've tried several times to wean off the pred forte drops only to have iritis symptoms to return after a week off the drops. My ophthalmologist is recommending a low dose prednisone drop daily for a while until things settle down. I'm new to this forum and am wondering if any one else have had this same experience.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Low dose prednisone

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group. yes your situation often occurs when the herpes virus is involved in uveitis. often a drop a day is needed to help keep the iritis quiet along with the antiviral medication. DON"T stop the antiviral. if the virus comes out of hibernation it can get to the back of the eye, to the retina and it can quickly cause major problems. should you have ANY vision changes get in right away for a check up. don't procrastinate.

wishing you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
lmblack98

Post by lmblack98 »

Thank you so much for your response. I didn't know very much about iritis only what I've read on line so I was relieved to hear that a low-dose prednisone drop was a reasonable treatment for my situation
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

your situation is not a normal form of iritis and it requires extra vigilance on your part to prevent potential vision threatening damage to the retina if it gets to it. normally one would want a steroid sparing approach to treatment with recurrent or chronic uveitis from inflammation not caused by a virus or other pathogen.

we are here to help you if needed,
my best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz