pred forte

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

kim3

pred forte

Post by kim3 »

my dr gave me a precription for pred forte, however new law in maine requires pharmacist to dispense generic unless dr states it must be name brand, which he did not, so i have the generic...jsut seems that this bout of iritis is taking longer to get over, so im questioning the generic...is it just as good as the pred forte?
Traci

Pred Forte

Post by Traci »

Hi, Kim. Just for the record, my eyes have never responded to the generic form of this medication. I'm a believer in generic drugs, but this is one that has never helped me. My doctor says that several of his iritis patients don't respond either. Hope this helps.

Traci
JHB

Generic Pred Forte vs. The Good Stuff

Post by JHB »

Hi kim3 and Traci - I copied the message below from Dr. Fosters website message board. BTW, I have had much better luck with the name brand stuff too...Told my opthamologist make sure prerscription says "name brand only".

How Pred Forte is made
Posted: 8/1/04 6:43 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,
Just a little bit of useless knowlege. I worked for Allergan for 11 years and was part of the validation team for pred forte. (Don't quote me on every step as it has been a while.) It is a very complicated process to make this drug. You have to make a base that is sterilized in a tank and then this mixture is aseptically poured into pre-autoclaved milling bottles containing large glass beads. The bottles are put on to long tuning pipes (balanced between two) where they turn for seven days to get the paticles small enough for your eye to tolerate. At this point they are again aseptically poured into a fill tank and aseptically filled into the bottles. I am friends with one of the compounders. She goes to my church and I always tell people to pray for her she makes my drug!

One thing you should know tho, is you need to shake your bottle 12 times before using it to remix the suspension. A generic version takes 70 shakes.

Rebecca
Quest

Post by Quest »

Do not use the generic. It does not penetrate the eye as well as Pred Forte and can take longer to resolve the inflammation.
Mike Bartolatz

pred forte

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

The others who have posted to you are correct. the molecules in the generic do not penetrate as well as those of Pred forte. they also do not remain in suspension in the formula as well as Pred Forte. they must also be shaken for a much longer time to get them into suspension.

One mistake that many people do is to NOT shake even the predforte long enough to get the corticosteroid molecules suspended properly. You can also help by pressing in on the inside corner of your eye once you instill the eyedrops. this prevents them from entering your sinuses thus allowing better absorbtion by the eye.

I hope this helps,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Guest »

Thanks everyone. i saw my Dr yesterday who gave me a new prescription, he was not aware that I was getting generic from the pharmacy, as his script stated PRED FORTE..
I was wondering why I was still in so much pain after about 3-4 weeks and my eye wasn't getting better but worse!
hopefully I'm on the right track now..and yes i shake shake shake that thing! ha
Mike Bartolatz

Pain

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

where is the 'pain' located? are you on dilating drops to prevent adhesion of the iris to the lens AND to relax the cilary body which can be in spasm with uveitis???
how are your pressures in your eyes?
have you been checked for any viral causes of of uveitis like Herpes Sx?

just a couple of thoughts,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Kes1561

Generic Pred Forte information

Post by Kes1561 »

My eye doctor told me that although he respects generics and uses them himself, the generic for Pred Forte does NOT work. I've found this to be true with one other medication, Fiorocet.

If it were me, I'd call my doctor and ask him to call in a new prescription and specify Brand Only.

Best of luck!
Kes
Anita

generic pred forte

Post by Anita »

I have always had rapid success using the generic form. I guess it depends on the individual.

Post by Guest »

I am on my second week of generic and it has worked very well so far. I could see and feel a change in my infected eye even an hour after first using the drops. I do believe it depends on the individual as with many drugs. Hopefully my iritis will not return after tapering more off the drops.
bnorma01

Falcon Generic Pred Garbage

Post by bnorma01 »

Week and a half on Generic Pred 'Falacon' was not very helpful. One day of real Pred Forte did wonders. No more generic for this for me.
laura

Just Went Through This Too

Post by laura »

I just went through this same experience. The Falcon Prednilisone (spelling?) was not working. Even though it had worked for me numerous times previously. Since I was not any better, in fact getting worse, she switched me to Pred Forte. I never knew there was anything else out there. All you know is what you learn yourself from having Iritis. That is why I like this website, I feel that I am able to learn even more from reading about other people's issues and questions.
Mike Bartolatz

time to seek a consultation

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Laura,
did I read correctly that you have recurrent uveitis, many times, which has only been treated with topical steroids? Perhaps it is now time to seek input from a REAL EXPERT, dedicated to preventing complications to uveitis which eventually will rob you of your vision. please tell me where you live and I'll indicate the BEST expert near you.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
meap

Post by meap »

Damn, I'm on this site for 2 minutes I already learned alot. I'm currently using the Falcon Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic Suspension USP 1%. I've been using it for two and a half weeks and my Iritis seems to be getting worse. Is the Falcon medicine the generic stuff? This is the 4th time I've had Iritis in my life and I've never paid attention to the exact medication. Should I ask the Dr. to prescribe the Pred Forte ?
Mike Bartolatz

yes

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

yes the drop you are using is considered to be 'generic' prednisilone acetate.

first try shaking the bottle for about a minute and then instill them. also with your eyes closed and your head tilted back, press in on the inside corner of your eye to 'occlude your punctum' . this will make certain that the drop is absorbed by the eye and not drained from the surface of the eye. if this doesn't help then ask that you get the Pred Forte instead of the generic. for some individuals even the real thing doesn't help and then they have to have a steroid injection to sufaces adjacent to the eye. It may also be time to get an evaluation to look for related disease or pathogens since you have recurrent uveitis.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz