Prescription glasses?

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

1elizabeth

Prescription glasses?

Post by 1elizabeth »

Hi, I am new to this forum :)
I have had R. Arthritis for about 6 years now. Recently diagnosed with Iritis in my left eye (blurred vision.) I have been taking pred.and Cyclogyl drops since mid June.
I haven't had much luck in clearing up the floating cells, maybe a little bit. Now I am taking Durezol drops ( for one week) and due to get my check up tomorrow. I know that usually people get Iritis in one eye, I am praying that nothing happens to my other eye as I have pretty much lost half of my vision due to the blurriness in my effected eye. I am scared that it won't go away.

I was wondering if anyone has delt with this so long, that they needed prescription glasses to help them with their vision ( while trying to clear up the Iritis?) Would it make any difference with vision ?

Thank you
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Prescription glasses?

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

usually doctors won't prescribe prescription glasses for an individual with iritis that is active. it is very difficult to get an accurate refraction while the eye is inflamed. they will often wait about 3 months after the eye is quiet to do a refraction so that it will be accurate. it might even be that you will not require glasses once the inflammation is gone.

the floaters take a very long time to settle to the bottom of the eye. rarely they can cause angle closure glaucoma when the fluid in the anterior chamber is exchanged and the cells block the angles and the trabecular meshwork (drainage system).
should you start getting headache or upset stomach, get in for a pressure check up. sometimes high pressure causes rainbow effect around lights etc.

sometimes floaters are in the middle of the eye from intermediate or posterior uveitis. do you have Iridocyclitis, inflammation of the iris and ciliary body? cells can get into the vitreous when this occurs. if the floater is a large black object, get in for a check up right away. sometimes a detachment of the retina can cause bleeding . cells linked to uveitis are small black dots that look like grains of pepper. over time cells in the middle of the eye can clump together causing 'snowballs'. that are opaque.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz