Ohioian with Autoimmune Retinopathy (npAIR)

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

stephiemneo

Ohioian with Autoimmune Retinopathy (npAIR)

Post by stephiemneo »

Hello, my name is Stephanie. I live in Northeast Ohio and I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune retinopathy. Aside from the vision loss, photophobia, halos and eye pain (lol) my biggest complaint is lack of information! It's driving me crazy. I have seen so many doctors and I get the feeling that no one wants to deal with this. In fact, the most recent doctor I saw told me that's exactly what it was. Even saw a doctor at the world renowed Cleveland Clinic and he passed me off. This is frustrating because while all these doctors pass me around and poke and prode me like a science expirement, my vision gets worse. I have not worked in over a year, am now legally blind and lost in the social security system.
I found this website while doing research at the local library and began crying seeing so many similar stories. I'm not alone! Not that I would wish this on anybody, however, until you've been through this, you can't understand it.
My most recent doctor has passed me off to a retina doc and rheumotologist for "chemotherapy" because I am "outside his area of expertise" which is VERY concerning. How can you treat, or even recommend treatment for something you don't understand? And not just any treatment, but chemotherapy?
Anyways, I'd really love to hear from anyone who has even heard of this diagnosis and if you know of a doctor who considers this their "area of expertise" I may just love you forever! :!:
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Ohioian with Autoimmune Retinopathy (npAIR)

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

first of all welcome and please know that you are NOT alone. we do have a thread in another forum with othere with AIR.
in your state, Please contact DR Dino Klisovic in Columbus, Ohio who trained under DR Foster the top ocular immunologist in the world. Dino has been trained to use chemotherapeutic drugs to treat this through his fellowship under DR Foster at Harvard. I'll post links to both topics for you.

wishing you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Dino Klisovic, MD Background Publications
Midwest Retina
500 East Main St.
Columbus, OH 43215
tel. 614-233-9500 fax. 614-233-9501

please tell Dr Klisovic that you have been sent to him by Me as I volunteer with Dr Foster's online suppport groups as moderator and administrator. http://www.uosg.org is the online support group

I'll post a link to the forum at this site where we have several members with your condition.

mike
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3255

this is an ongoing discussion on AIR with several members that post from time to time.

mike
Mike Bartolatz