newly diagnosed iritis

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

crystalziggy

newly diagnosed iritis

Post by crystalziggy »

Hello there, I hope this is the correct place to write you to introduce myself.

My condition, red eye whites, tearing, puffy eyes, first started out with a sty and red eyes. I treated it with the warm washcloth and also
runny water over it under the shower. The sty has almost disappeared, and am left with this. I am seeing an opthomologist tomorrow for the
third time. She gave me a strong antibiotic the first time, and I had been to two other doctors first, (at the walk-in clinic, because my GP
has retired). When I saw her last week, she suspected something more serious, and asked me to come back. She mentioned briefly I would be
using drops. I do very intricate artwork for a living! So I am pretty scared.

I read an article that links thyroid, particularly the T3 and T4 horomones to general auto-inflammatory disease. Here is the link. I would very much
like to know what you think of this article in the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/healt ... .html?_r=2

Thanks for this,
Crystal
Mike Bartolatz

Re: newly diagnosed iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

thyroid disease can be connected to many things through the IL23R and ERAP1 genes. it is not directly linked to iritis however.
your sty isn't linked to iritis either. the red eye associated with iritis starts at the black ring surrounding the iris and proceeds outward. conjunctivitis starts at the corners of the eyes and proceeds toward the black ring around the iris.
severe dry eyes can cause red eye from abrasion between the upper eyelid and the cornea and sclera (the white part of the eye). lubricating eyedrops are used to replace the tear part of the tear film to limit abrasion and help prevent infection of the cornea or sclera.
you can have excessive tears and still have dry eyes (now known as dysfunctional tear film)
apply hot compresses a couple of times a day to the sty and it should come to a head. a sty is an infected eyelash.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz