Eye contracted too far after stopping dilating drops

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Nikorusama

Eye contracted too far after stopping dilating drops

Post by Nikorusama »

I stopped my dilating drops recently and now they have worn off. My affected eye has contracted further than my normal eye and the difference is a lot more visible in low light settings. Is this normal? After starting the steroid drops the pain and redness went right away and my eye looked better straight away but my vision is still blurry. Is this normal?

Thank you for your help.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Eye contracted too far after stopping dilating drops

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

does the iris open and close? if it doesn't, get checked for herpes Sx virus (especially if you have cold sores on your lips or nose as the virus can move up a nerve and get into the eye. it can also get into the eye if you have severe dry eyes and the conjunctiva becomes compromised and if the sclera or cornea get an ulceration etc.
there are many causes of blur of vision. the steroids can have an impact and it can take a week or so for them to get out of your system. if you were taking a dilating drop, that would definitely cause blur of vision. sometimes inflammation gets to the back of the eye and it can cause optic neuritis, Cystoid Macular Edema, epiretinal membranes with macular pucker etc. if you also have inflammation in the middle of the eye in which protein is given off into the vitreous, this can cause a haze and it can impact your vision until it goes away.

wishing you quiet eyes,
mike
Mike Bartolatz