Iritis linked to Intense Workouts?

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Cherie2012

Iritis linked to Intense Workouts?

Post by Cherie2012 »

Hello,

First, thank you for this forum and website. It is very helpful and appreciated.

Second, about me…
Female
Health Status: Healthy, good shape, trying to get into better shape
Never had Iritis until I moved to Japan (due to husband’s military orders)
I was first diagnosed with Iritis in May 2011 by an Optometrist. I was prescribed Prednisolone and Cyclogyl. The pain, redness, etc. were gone within a week. About 6 weeks before my first bout, I started trying to get back in shape by attending Crossfit (intense short workouts) and eating healthy. The Iritis and my work schedule interfered with my Crossfit program. Soon, I was doing light exercise again.

In August 2011, I started back at Crossfit. Two weeks after returning, my second bout of Iritis came. I went back to the Optometrist who again prescribed me Prednisolone and Cyclogyl. He also referred me to an Ophthalmologist. The ophthalmologist scheduled the usual tests (HLA-B27, infections, etc.) and all came back negative. I, again, take some time off from Crossfit and no Iritis.

Thursday, March 1, 2012, I started back at Crossfit. It was a very intense workout (a lot of pull-ups and rowing). My arms are still a little sore almost a week later. Sunday morning, March 4, I woke up to a slightly red eye. By Sunday evening, my entire left eye is red and some pain occurring…my third bout with Iritis has occurred. I go back to the Ophthalmologist on Monday morning and again I am back on the usual drops.
I am frustrated for several reasons…
1) To me, it seems intense exercising (Crossfit) brings on my outbreaks of Iritis. Has anyone else had this issue?
2) I don’t know why I get Iritis. I have been told I may get it the rest of my life and never know why.
Maybe the two (Iritis and exercise) aren’t connected but it feels like it is. The pain does get better within a few days, which I realize I am lucky. But I am trying to create good habits and it is hard when it feels like every time I try to do the right thing and I get penalized. Does that make sense? Any ideas? Suggestions? Anywho, thank you for letting me vent.

Sincerely, Cherie
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Iritis linked to Intense Workouts?

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

First of all welcome to the group!
it might be that you have other genetics that can trigger forms of uveitis. this frequently happens in women about your age as hormones start changing. then stuff starts appearing most often related to autoimmune conditions, things linked to rheumatod factor etc. look at immediate family medical history to see if any disease processes run in your family and then watch for symptoms.
vascular disease, CNS stuff, arthritis, GI problems are all linked to this as are MANY pathogens. with over 85 different things linked to forms of uveitis, one can see that a short history may not indicate this is ideopathic by way of the first few months and tests.

I'll do my best to educate you and teach you about steroid sparing approaches to treatment of uveitis so ask questions and I'll respond.

Wishing you the very best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz