Cortisone shot in the eye for pan uveitis

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

linclan5

Cortisone shot in the eye for pan uveitis

Post by linclan5 »

I think I just posted this on the wrong board, so excuse me for repeating myself here. This looks like the more correct place to post this question. I am going through my second bout of pan uveitis where my vision in one eye has suddenly become very blurry (unable to read even with magnification) because of the swelling in my macula. Drops do not work because it is in the back of the eye. Last time my doctor was able to get it into remission by putting me on oral prednisone and then tapering me off. This time I am not responding (I have been on 20 mg for 2 weeks) and he wants to give me a shot of cortisone directly into the eye (not under the sclera). I got a second opinion from Dr. Samson at NY Eye and ear and he says the cortisone shot may work, but the uveitis may come back in 3 months and I risk getting a cataract from the shot. He had no other suggestion thoug to get my vision back, except to stay on the oral prdnisone, but that is definitely not working. Does anyone have any advice about the shot or do you have any ideas about any other medications I should try? I also have iritis but that is responding to drops, but it keeps coming back. Many thanks for running this extremely helful forum.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Cortisone shot in the eye for pan uveitis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

usually pan uveitis which is VERY SERIOUS stuff is treated with oral or injected steroids to tissue SURROUNDING the eye. and drugs such as methotrexate and cyclosporine are used to help quell the inflammation. this is an example, not a way to treat you. an underlying cause of the pan uveitis has to be determined so that appropriate classes of meds can be used. I agree completely with DR Samson and a steroid injeciton ito the eye is a last resort because of risks associated with this type of treatment. if new blood vessels are growing or if cystoid macular edema is now present, then a drug called Avastin could be used to help stop this blood vessel growth and fluid build up.
get Dr Samson to do tests to figure out why you have pan uveitis as it is from an autoimmune disease or from a virus, bacteria etc. then appropriate sytemic treatment can be used.
sorry for not answering sooner as I have been on Vacation withouth access to a computer.

Wishing you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz