Iritis for 2 1/2 months now

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Nic18

Iritis for 2 1/2 months now

Post by Nic18 »

I have had iritis for the last 2 1/2 months (this is the 6th time I have had it in my life), and I am off the atropine, and down to 2 drops / day of the pred forte. I used to exercise 5 times / week before I had this last reoccurance. I had stopped going because of the pain in my eye, but as it started to get better, I decided to try to go back to the gym, unfortunatly the pain returned the next day. Is this normal and should I jst give up going to the gym until it is completely gone?
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I don
t know why exercise should cause you to have eye pain. usually pain related to uveitis is because of inflammatory cellls have accumulated between the iris and the lens causing them to stick together and the pain comes when the eye tries to change the shape of the iris causing the muscle that opens and closes the eye to spasm.
this is why you are given atropine or other dilating drops to relax the muscle which is in spasm. rarely pain inside the eye is caused by glaucoma. pain on the outside of the eye can be from cornea problems, scleritis and posterior scleritis if behind the eye.

If you don't have a speciaist invovled in your care, I suggest that you contact Dr Goldstein there in Chicago. she is an excellent ocular immunologist and may have answeres to your questions that I don't know and she may also be able to get you on a steroid sparing approach to treatment to prevent further bouts of uveitis.

Wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
kingfisher610

Exercise

Post by kingfisher610 »

Hey there

I was worried about the same thing for a while. I am in the Millitary and have to keep fit for my job. When Iritis hit me a kinda went into a depression and stoped exercising, which is unlike me. I was afraid to get to overstressed, for fear in might cause the Iritis to flare. But, I decided to chance it, cause I was gaining weight and my mood was going south. I typically do at least and hour of intense cardio each day and so far so good. My mood is better, weight is down and heath seems fine. I did nottice that my eyes were real red after intense work out but I am pleased to say that always seems to go away when I cool down. I know everyone is different, but I hope the same holds true for you as well. At least in my case, I think the bennifits out weigh the risks.

Good luck
just want my life back