I'm not alone!

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Anemone

I'm not alone!

Post by Anemone »

Thank you for the welcome, Mike.

I joined about a week ago and have been working my way through the info. It can be a bit overwhelming, but it's nice to know there are others who understand. I've been dealing with iritis since May 2005. The first time, it cleared up in a couple of months, but since September 2005 I have not been able to get off eyedrops without it flaring up again. I've had the recommended tests and nothing showed up. I read the suggested treatment algorithm and will bring the info to my next appointment.

I've been calling the eyedrops PredForte because that's what the opthalmologist calls them, but they are Ratio-Prednisolone. My insurance will probably only cover the generic version. Is there a difference between the two?
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

yes there is a difference between the generic version of Pred Forte and the real thing. the molecular size of the corticosteroid is Larger in the generic and it doesn't 'suspend' as well. you have to shake the generic for a COUPLE OF MINUTES before instilling it in order to get it mixed up well so that when you put the drop in it will have the proper amount of medication dispensed. often the doctor can put on the prescription form, dispense only the brand name.

hopefully your doctors will give the treamtent algorithm a go ahead if you can tolerate NSAIDS. usually they will test your blood for liver and kidney function before and during this kind of treatment to make sure things are ok there to undergo NSAID therapy or immunomodulation. although many NSAIDS are available over the counter, one should still be under the guidance of a medical doctor because they can cause problems with liver and kidneys over time.

Please join in the discussion any time. we do understand what you are going through. if you have any questions, just ask and we'll try to help.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
jessrms

Post by jessrms »

I began taking Pred Forte eye drops at the age of 4, I am now 35.... I can tell you from my experience, that yes, the generic is different from the regular brand. I will take the generic if my eyes are doing well and I am on "maintenance" dosing, but, i do pay more for the brand name when I am in flare. It seems to clear up the inflammation better for me.

Mike is right, the structure of the molecules makes it different, so you ahve to keep shaking the generic brand for longer than the regular Pred Forte.

Jess
Anemone

Post by Anemone »

Thanks for the feedback. So far the generic drops have worked, even though I've been 'shaking well' rather than for two minutes. As soon as I start taking them a few times a day, my eye settles down.

I'm going to need a two-minute timer - besides the drops, I have a fluoride rinse I use for two minutes every day. :)
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Welcome, Anemone

I have been fighting iritis since October 2004 -- same story as you, with some side trips. Have been on NSAIDs since July. Feldane made me sick, now on Celebrex, though it is SPENDY and is starting to make me sick as well. I'm glad you found this site. It is SUCH a help. This is a strange, rare disease, and it's a comfort to be able to communicate with people who understand and have experience with it. Best of luck with your treatment!
Sheila