Psoriatic Arthritis

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

filthymess

Psoriatic Arthritis

Post by filthymess »

I'm trying to figure out what caused my iritis and am leaning towards it being Psoriatic arthritis. I am having joint pain. It's very mild almost a discomfort not really pain which is alleviated some when I exercise. I have had a red itchy rash that went away a couple years ago, I never sought treatment for it and the only thing happening with my skin now is what I thought was dermatitis but I'm wandering if it's psoriasis. I don't have pitting of my nails but I do have this weird ridges all along my nails and if I grow my nails long they split apart along the ridges. I have a couple months before I'm going to see a doctor about it. I have to wait for the steroids to leave my system before I can have any testing (plus I need to catch up on all my medical bills!) Anyway, I was hoping anyone who has this condition could let me know what their symptoms are or any advice that might help me.

thanks!
quincy
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Quincy.
yes Psoriatic arthritis can cause iritis. so can psoriasis or other 'skin' rashes.
if you can get medical insurance with a drug benefit, please do it as treatment for psoriatic arthritis can be expensive in some instances. only a doctor can tell you if you have this. there is a link to pictures of skin rashes in this forum that you can go to and see if your rash is similar. with psoriatic arthritis it attacks the joints of the fingers and causes them to swell causeing 'sausage digit'. other joints can be effected too. there are other things that can cause arthritis and skin rashes too so a doctor will need to sort this out. you can also do a 'google search' using the terms 'psoriatic arhtritis with photographs' and a link should come up.
Drugs such as Humira and Remicade can quell both the uveitis and the psoriasis but it is expensive. Humira is cheaper and can be injected at your home by yourself whereas Remicad costs about 3,000 bucks a month and is done by IV infusion at a clinic.
Sometimes Dolobid or Celbrex can treat both the eye and the arthritis.

I hope this helps,
mike
Mike Bartolatz