New to Iritis, new to the forum

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Locutus

New to Iritis, new to the forum

Post by Locutus »

Hello my name is Sean, I was diagnosed with Iritis in my left eye a little over 3 weeks ago. The ophthalmologist I see seems very confident that we'll clear it up with the dialating agent, cortesteriod, and pred drops I've been taking.

He treated it very agressively at the begining; offering me two choices:
- The rigorous eyedrop schedule (One drop of the dialating agent once a day, one drop of the steriod four times a day, and one drop of the pred every two hours)
or
- Have the medication injected behind my eye.

Well, being a wimp, i opted for the eyedrops. I hate needles.

Roughly two weeks after being diagnosed my eye looked and felt alot better and during an exam there was very little of the white cells let in my eye. So my ophthalmologist decided to taper my eyedrops and almost immediately, the Iritis flared back up. the pain was immense and felt just as bad as it did at the begining. My ophthalmologist did assure me that there wasn't as much of a build up of white blood cells as there was at the begining, but I was pretty freaked out nonetheless. I've always been pretty healthy and was used to getting over illnesses quickly.
Anyway, because of the flare up my ophthalmologist felt I should get the injection. I told him that I was more than ready. That was two days ago and my eye feels alot better; no pain. However, my vision is still cloudy. My ophthalmologist said that he's seen it take as long as two months for Iritis to clear up.
After visiting this site, I can say that I've learned a little more about Iritis, but it's got me even more concerned. There are alot of people here who have had this for moths or even years. I can't even begin to imagine what that is like.

Oh well, my ophthalmologist has tapered back my use of the eyedrops again and I haven't had a flare up yet.
So far so good.

Thanks for allowing me to post my ramblings.
Sean Christian Bellinger - CG Artist & 3D Animation Instructor
The Guthrie Center For Excellence

"Nothing happens in contradiction of nature, only in what we know of it."
- Agent Dana Scully