aching in eye related to neck pain/arthritis?

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

aching in eye related to neck pain/arthritis?

Post by Guest »

I have had iritis several times over the last few years. My previous bout took me 11 months to get off the pred forte drops. Then 1 month later it is back, and I am back on the drops :( Anyway, through out this past 1 - 1 1/2 years, I have continued to have intermittent eye pain (feels like an aching in the eye). At first my eye doc agreed that this may be as good as it gets, and if I can tolerate it, we would not need to do anything further. At last visit we discussed again (as he always asks if I have any eye pain), this time he said that it my neck pain/arthritis that is causing this aching in my eye. I have already been taking the naproxyn 440mg twice a day for a year and a half, which seems to help some. Has anyone else had this, is there anything else I can try? Thank you for your help! - Dawn
Mike Bartolatz

neck pain

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

if your neck pain is related to arthritis the NSAID might help with the pain in the neck and also help to control the uveitis. Indomethacin might be a better choice of meds for this kind or relationship between arthritis and uveitis if the Naproxyn stops working for you.
other drugs might be in order in the future too like methotrexate etc to treat your systemic illnesses. Pain INSIDE the eye is usually due to cilary body spasm and dilating drops normally stop this kind of pain. steroid eye drops would be used to control such a flare up of inflammation or steroid injectiion to tissue surrounding the eye if intermediate uveitis is the culprit. neck pain has been known to cause pain behind the eye in some individuals. you might ask to be tested for the HLA B27 gene since arthritis of the spine which appears as 'bamboo like' is related to this gene.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz

Neck pain and iritis

Post by Guest »

I had a flair up this past Feb. in my left eye and my Doctor treated it with steroid drops and grease(as he calls it) at night. After a few months it was gone, but now he has me on a maintenance program with a weaker type of steroid drop(every other day).
Well, about 2 months ago I developed a real pain in the back of my neck that runs down to my shoulder. I have tried different things, Aleve, Ben-gay, heat ,but it is still there. Some days not as bad as others. Then guess what? About 3 weeks ago Iritis flaired up in my right eye.
Not sure if my neck pain is arthritis, but I have an appt. with my GP tomorrow for my yearly physical and will ask for something like Celobrex to help the pain.
Will be interesting to see if or how the Celobrex affects my recovery from this flair up of Iritis
Mike Bartolatz

arthritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Ankylosing Spondylitis can effect the neck as well as the lower spine. you might ask to have the HLA B27 genetic test done to see if you have a predisposition to uveitis and various forms of arthritis (AS is also known as Bamboo Spine) pain inside the eye is not related to arthritis and one should have their IOP tested as well as an exam to make sure cells are not present which would require treatment and if inflammation is in the anterior chamber then steroid eye drops and dilating drops should be initiated. if chronic inflammation is present Oral steroids or other Systemic medications should be used to stop this constant bout of uveitis as over time the steroid eye drops will cause cataracts and perhaps glaucoma and thinning of the cornea. Immunomodulation using Methotrexate might be required to stop the arthritis and the uveitis.

wish you the best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
TigrShrk

Neck Pain and Iritis

Post by TigrShrk »

Mike, unfortunately my appt. today with my GP was cancelled. I was going to ask to be tested for HLA B27 since I would have had other blood work done anyways.
I read the write up on Ankylosing Spondylitis, and you may have pointed me in the right direction. Besides the pain in my neck and shoulder, I also get a pain in my heel depending on how I sit. This pain goes right away after taking a few steps, but it may be another symptom.
My next appt. with my Opthamologist is next Tuesday and I will ask him about getting tested for HLA B27 and see if he is familiar with Ankylosing Spondylitis and it's relationship to Iritis.

Thanks,
Steve(Previously signed in as Guest)
Mike Bartolatz

Doctor may not know

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Steve,
please print out information that you find on this site and provide it to your Primary care doctor as he/she problably knows NOTHING about uveitis and because it is so rare he will problably not wnat to learn about this. ask to be referred to a rheumatologist as this specialty often prescribes drugs like Methotrexate needed to get you off all steroid without inflammation.
achilles tenodon problems are related to reactive Arthritis also known as Reiter's syndrome which is also related to uveitis. OFten there is overlap in symptoms with this stuff and it might take Close section MRI to see the beginnings of Ankylosing spondylitis in the Sacrum joints.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
katiedis

what to do

Post by katiedis »

I'm going through the same thing...here's who I got info from.

My GP have me a referral to both an opthamologist and rheumy. Didn't prescribe anything...he knew it should be handled by the other drs.

My opthamologist ordered the HLA B27 blood test for me. He also ordered X-rays of my back and SI joints as part of his diagnosis and information. I've had an injection of steroids and now am on drops for elevated IOP.

My Rheumy ordered Xrays (but he just ended up using the ones from the opthamologist). He's offered an MRI which I am going to get done shortly since the pain in my back has not ceased for 4 months now...I'm suspicious. (The xrays had shown nothing, but when they were done iritis was my only symptom. Since then, I've had this back pain and positive blood tests. xrays take a long time to show changes. MRIs can detect inflammation before the xrays will show AS)

My GP is still in the picture as he does regular blood tests and exams just to make sure that I'm doing ok on any drug regimes that are involved in this. Plus, he likes to take a close look at my heart since he read up on AS.

So, yes...get those tests and xrays. Good luck.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I also reccommend seeing a rheumatogist even if you don't have classic symptoms. I have recurrent joint pain and tendoditis. the rheumatogist can help you put things together and can coordinate with your opthalomogist if you use a systemic approach.
lyssiw

Post by lyssiw »

I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis or AS. I am 23 and was diagnosed about two years ago. Because of my recurring iritis my eye doc suggesting I get tested for the HLA B27 gene. When that came back positive I went to my GP and she ordered x-rays to see if there was deterioration of my hip joints, which there was. Since then I have been seeing a rheumatologist. I mainly have lower back pain and swelling in my hands and feet. The first step is diagnoses so I really encourage anyone with these symptoms to go to the doc. Also the Spondylitis Association of America is a good resource.

Good luck,

Alyssa
Hannah

Aching on around eye above cheek bone

Post by Hannah »

Hi,

I had chronic iritis back in March and am no longer on the drops (three weeks ago stopped them after being iritis free for about two months and doing the tapering thing) but my eye tends to feel sore all day and I still have pain above my cheekbone - is this normal and will it ever go away? It's getting me down!.

H
Mike Bartolatz

yes

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

yes in time the pain should go away. if it isn't gone in a couple of days call your doctor for a followup appointment.

Keep us informed too please of any additional developments.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz