Signs of Retinal Tear???

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

IritisLiz

Signs of Retinal Tear???

Post by IritisLiz »

I am currently on my 2nd episode of Iritis. The 1st was 3 years ago before i was diagnosed with Crohns.

I am 2 weeks in with this episode. (In my right eye) My pupil is a little misshapen, which I understand is the Iris sticking to cornea??

The last 2 nights when trying to get to sleep i have noticed white/light floaters that look like tiny tadpoles swimming. They travel across the bottom of my vision in both directions and to the right of my eye always travelling downwards.

I have no other extra floaters that I've noticed, no dark areas.

So my immediate​ question is, is this an emergency or can i wait until my next appointment in 36 hours?
This episode, i was advised 'I've not done it by half'. I also had high pressure before treatment began.

Of course these 'tadpole floaters' may always have been there and I'm only noticing them now.

I am currently on Pred Fort 6x - Azarga 2x - Mydrilate 5x and Maxitol Alcon at bedtime. I also have been on Azathioprine 100mg daily for the past year. (There is talk from my gastroenterologist of escalating treatment, but waiting for scope appointment first, in this regard.)

Aside from this, i had an operation for blocked tear duct as a baby, an operation for lazy eye as a child and i have scarring at the back of my eye from herpes (not shingles) as a teen, in my right eye also. I'm now 46.
vancouver

Re: Signs of Retinal Tear???

Post by vancouver »

Misshapen pupil is likely a synechiae. Usually posterior ie sticking to lens. It can stick to cornea but less frequently.
They dilate the pupil to unstick it. Synechiae can usually be fixed unless you let your iritis fester for weeks before going to doc. Synechiae is not too serious unless it encircles pupil causing pressure build up. You should check eye each day for tiny redness so you take steroid long before a synechiae has time to form.

Not sure about retinal tear. I would Google symptoms. Floaters are common iritis symptom when you look at white sky etc.

Prior damage to eye can lead to iritis several years down road. Three year remission is pretty average and manageable.
vancouver

Re: Signs of Retinal Tear???

Post by vancouver »

The synechiae could be permanent and happened with your prior iritis episode. You only notice synechiae when eye is dilated. I don't know much about anterior synechiae. Synechiae tends to happen with second iritis occurrence. Six drops not much. Don't think u have granulomatous cells which make synechiae more likely.