Recurrent iridocyclitis for 8 years!

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Adorkable Witch

Recurrent iridocyclitis for 8 years!

Post by Adorkable Witch »

I've had iritis for 8 years, specifically I have bilateral recurrent iridocyclitis. After a battery of tests, there is absolutely no underlying cause, though I have a family history of autoimmune diseases. I also have co-morbid fibromyalgia and celiac disease. I am negative for genetic factors as well.

I am averaging 4-6 episodes a year, and usually 2 of them last more than 4 weeks. My eyes are incredibly light sensitive, and I usually use welding glasses to go outside. I'm pretty frustrated at the moment, because my vision has finally declined to the point I need a white cane if I am in either a low light situation or in sunlight with my glasses on. I feel like I am trapped to a certain degree.

I am happy to finally find a community of folks who seem to understand.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Recurrent iridocyclitis for 8 years!

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

sorry you are having such terrible events. It is time to get to an EXPERT to quiet this down before you are permanently blinded by the recurrent uveitis that you are experiencing. getting the celiac controlled is critical to getting a handle on the uveitis and potential complications such as cystoid macular edema and optic nerve problems. also getting off of all steroids without inflammation is the goal to strive for. an expert can do this for you. you can develop cataracts and glaucoma from the steroids and the disease can progress to vascular changes of the retina which can cause retinal detachment and bleeding. optic neuritis can also develop.
today a corticosteroid sparing approach to treatment is recommended by the American uveitis society, the international uveitis society, the American academy of ophthalmology etc. DMARD drugs used to treat autoimmune disease and inflammatory diseases can get the uveitis to durable remission in many instances. where do you live so that I can suggest such an expert to get you the care you deserve. these are NOT regular ophthalmologists but are ophthalmologists who have done additional training in the diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory eye conditions and their causes. your family history is significant as is the celiac disease that you have. the NOD2 gene is linked to irritable bowel disease and may be a contributor to your uveitis as well. it plays a role in celiac disease as well.
some tests should be repeated and others added such as the HLA B27 gene, the IL23R gene and the NOD2/CARD15 genes often seen in conjunction with uveitis and inflammatory bowel disease, psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, crohn's disease and sarcoidosis.

wishing you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz