Iritis and Cloudy Vision

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

markmine

Iritis and Cloudy Vision

Post by markmine »

Hello all.. I had iritis a lot over the past 10 years… but haven’t had it for close to 3 years. I’m now dealing with a flare in my left eye. This came on very quickly but didn’t seem too bad. Went to the Ophthalmologist right away and he said it was a 1+ and prescribed pred-forte. After a few days it wasn’t improving and a new symptom arose, my eye actually hurt to focus and hurt to the touch. The doc said I also have inflammation in another part of my eye (near the top). He upped the pred-fore dosage to one drop every 15 mins for duration of that day, then every ½ hour for the next day, then every hour the next day, now 1 drop 6 – 8 times a day. Also told me to take Advil. Seen doc just about every other day during pred-forte use and pressure has been good. My eye feels much better and most of the pain is gone and light sensitivity is gone, but the vision is cloudy. I don’t recall if cloudy vision was ever a symptom in the past. Doc said cloudiness will go away when the inflammation is gone. Has anyone ever have cloudy vision during an iritis flare, and if so, did the cloudiness go away when the inflammation was gone? I'm very nervous......
Thanks
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Iritis and Cloudy Vision

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

if the cloudiness is linked to 'flare' protein in the vitreous from inflammation, then once things are calmed down for several weeks or so the cloudiness should diminish. if it is from the beginnings of cataract formation which can be from inflammation or from the steroids, then it will remain. call doctor Foster for a followup if this continues to be problem for you as he might suggest other treatment especially if inflammation is now in the middle or back of the eye causing iridocyclitis, intermediate or posterior uveitis which can occur. a very close exam of your retina with a fluorescein angiogram could also be indicate if there is suspect of posterior segment involvement. please call and make an appointment with him for followup.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
markmine

Post by markmine »

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get an appointment right away with Dr. Foster and he feels my cloudy vision should clear up when the inflammation is gone. I was prescribed Durezol 1 drop 4x day by a different Doctor 3 days prior to my appointment with Dr. Foster. When Dr. Foster saw me, my eye pressure was border line high at 21 and he said a steroid shot could increase the pressure dramatically. I really don’t like the shots, I had 2 in the past (1 in each eye), so I was relieved although I would do whatever he recommended. Instead he had me increase the Durezol to one drop every 2 hours and I see him in 6 days. After two days, my vision is begining to get better. I hope this does the trick. In the mean time, I have an appointment with a rheumatologist to try to get the inflammation under control. I have reactive arthritis and HLA-B27+. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again. This is a great site!!
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I am glad that you were able to get in to see Dr Foster. hopefully the Durezol won't increase the pressure any more. I was a steroid responder and developed steroid induced glaucoma which damaged peripheral vision in both eyes.

let me know how the appointment goes and I hope DR Foster can help you with the HLA B27 uveitis and Reactive arthritis with DMARD drugs etc.

take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
markmine

Post by markmine »

Hi Mike,
My latest update… Seen Dr. Foster again yesterday and my eye is much better. I’ve been on durezol at 8 drops per day for the past 10 days in my left eye and my eye pressure was 14 in both eyes yesterday. I was surprised, as I expected a big increase in my left eye due to the Durezol. This is good news and the cloudiness is gone, it’s just still blurry. I hope the blurriness goes away as I taper off the durezol. I’m now instructed to put 6 drops per day in my left eye for a week then taper each week to 6/day, 4/day, 3/day, 2/day then 1 a day before stopping. Dr. Foster told me to follow the taper instructions exactly and see him again in 6 weeks unless it flares again. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again, Mark
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Mark,
I am glad things are improving for you and that the Durezol hasn't caused elevated pressures to occur. you are in the best hands with CSF and you will have him to go to should you require it in the future. I hope the taper is successful and that you will NEVER have another bout of uveitis.

Take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz