No cause, but a pattern is forming

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

mizzv

No cause, but a pattern is forming

Post by mizzv »

Hi, I have had 2 major flare ups last year in the Left eye. A series of injections, steroid pills, and many drops (Myrdiacil, Phenyl, Atropine, Lotemax, Pred-Forte, Dexamethasone) has all helped control that eye. However, I still have a swollen under eye bag (after injections) and a 40% stuck pupil from posterior synechaie. The doc wants to laser it, but is afraid the laser will flare it. Oh, and I had to get an infected Right wisdom tooth removed during one of these flares.

Anyhow, now I have a flare in my Right eye. Went to the optho, and the eye is responding well to steroid pills, and dilators. But during the first week of my flare, I woke up one morning and felt like I was drunk. I was sweating through my clothes, had cold chills, and began vomiting and blood came out of my nose. Went to the emergency room, they took blood and urine tests and told me I had a urinary tract infection. So, I took antibiotics and slept for a couple days. Anyhow, now I have a swollen jaw (Left side) with my top tooth is black, and bottom has a big abcess where a wisdom tooth would be if it was surfaced. I am going to go see my dentist this week, and have it removed or something. But now my eye is flaring up a bit during my jaw hurting. I am beginning to notice that everytime I have an infection, I have a flare. My immune system is not fighting bacteria or something, it kust keeps fighting my eyes. I don't think this is a coincidence. Any diseases linked to infections and flare ups. This is like my 4 or 5th infection this year. And most have happened while I was not on the steroids.
PS. I am HLA B27 positive.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: No cause, but a pattern is forming

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

The HLA B27 gene is activated by pathogens and you have had recurrent infections causing recurrent inflammation inside your eyes. getting all of the infections controlled is key to getting the eyes quiet, HLA B27 uveitis will ping pong between eyes so another form of treatment needs to be implemented besides the steroids. often a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug, NSAID such as celebrex, dolobid, naproxen etc. can be started once all infections are controlled so that a steroid SPARING approach to treatment can be initiated. it will take about six months before you will know if it will break the recurrent nature of the beast so be patient and start the NSAID once all infections are controlled. then stay on the NSAID for TWO YEARS so that your immune system will stop replicating the blood cells that cause the inflammation inside your eyes.

the HLA B27 gene is also linked to ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, and psoriatic arthritis. watch for symptoms of arthritis and GI problems. if they occur DMARD drugs such as methotrexate, Cellcept or Imuran alone or in combination with Remicade Or Humira might be needed to calm them along with the Uveitis.

wishing you the very Best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz