Introduction and question

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

littlepearl

Introduction and question

Post by littlepearl »

Hi!

I was diagnosed with iritis about 3 weeks ago when I had a sudden onset of a red, painful eye. Steroid drops calmed the redness and the pain but soon after I weaned off them, headaches, light sensitivity and eye pain returned (no redness this time though).

I have a history of joint pain, GI troubles, Raynauds, and I have had a positive ANA test in the past. (Doctors never really identified the problem.) Well, now I can add iritis to the list and I am headed back to the Rheumatologist in 2 weeks.

My question is about practicing yoga. I have been practicing hot Bikram yoga for about 3 months now. I am afraid the heat might aggravate the condition. Am I right? I haven't found much online about the heat aspect of it, but have only found advice saying that I shouldn't do any posture that places the head below the heart. This yoga has done amazing things for my other health issues, and I don't want to give it up unless I absolutely have to, but I don't know a lot about iritis, and if / how this activity could aggravate it.

Looking for thoughts and experience with this.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Introduction and question

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Actually I don't know what Yoga might cause, I would think that stretching muscles would be fine within reason.

as to ANA, did they test for Scleroderma, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Sarcoidosis since you are positive for these things?

do you have GRANULOMATUS anterior uveitis? do you have a rash on your face of any kind? rash anywhere else on your body? does anyone in your family have any connective tissue disease process going on? Arthritis of any kind and anywhere?
does anyone have a history of Multiple sclerosis? Vascular disease? Have you been tested for Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis? HLA B27 gene?

Please respond to these questions in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum by clicking on Board index at the top left of this page.

looking forward to your post,
mike
Mike Bartolatz