Just introducing myself.

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

aussiegirl

Just introducing myself.

Post by aussiegirl »

Hi all.
I am a 32 yr old Australian HLA-B27 + AS with Iritis.
Just went to the ER today with another bout of cronic Iritis.
On Prednefrin Forte drops every 2 hours.

Have had a very long list of issues for well over 10 yrs. For many years I was treated for dry eye that I now realise was Iritis.
Due to a family history of glaucoma I have to be very careful with the steriod drops, or so I have been told.
I also have very large pterygiums that bother me quite a bit but have been a little better since I changed my glasses to transition lenses.
Anyway glad I have found this site, I hope to learn alot.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Just introducing myself.

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group!

sorry you are experiencing another bout of iritis due to your HLA B27 status and ankylosing spondylitis. the key to keeping the uveitis quiet is total control of your systemic disease, ankylosing spondylitis. this can sometimes be done with the use of NSAID medications taken at prescription dose such as celebrex, dolobid (difusinal) or Naproxen. this is done for six months to see if you can achieve the state of 'off all steroids without inflammation'. if your eyes and ankylosing spondylitis quiet down then you would stay on the NSAID for two years. It takes the immune system this long to stop producing the cells that are causing the inflammation. then you would taper off the NSAID. if you flare up during this two year period then you should move on to DMARD drugs alone or in combination with TNF A blocking drugs. the first DMARD drug used to treat both uveitis and Ankylosing spondylitis is Methotrexate or Cellcept usually combined with Remicade or Humira to achieve best results. it also is given at dose to achieve the off all steroids without inflammation goal.

wishing you the very best,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz