Negative change in vision prescription

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

vp8951

Negative change in vision prescription

Post by vp8951 »

This is my first time battling with anterior uveitis; it is in my left eye only. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and have been on a strict regimen of drops and oral steroids. On my last trip to the Opthalmologist, he told me that I was progressing very well, and things are definitely moving in the right direction. However, I have had a pretty drastic increase in my vision prescription (almost 3 degrees) over the past 2 weeks. The MD ran several tests, and said that other than a small amount of inflammation, my eye looked healthy. Eye pressure has remained at 12 for the past week. He really had no explanation for the change in vision. Anyone have an answer? Is this normal?

Medications taken are as follow:
PredForte, one drop each hour, first two days;
Homatropine, one drop twice daily, days 1-7;
Durazol, one drop each hour (days 3 and 4), one drop every 2 hours (days 5-7), 4 drops per day (days 8-14), now on a step down each week;
Oral steroid pack, days 2-7;
Kennelog (sp?) steroid shot on day 3.
I am now on day 16.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Negative change in vision prescription

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

boy you must have one heck of allot of inflammation to require such drastic amounts of
Corticosteroid to be employed in your care. what most often causes change in vision it the dilating drops used to prevent adhesion from Synechiae, cells that accumulate between the iris and the lens.

have you been tested for pathogens or genes or do you have any family members with autoimmune disease processes which can also cause uveitis such as forms of arthritis, Gastrointestinal problems such as ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease? autoimmune thyroid disease? Multiple Sclerosis? SArcoidosis? Sytemic Lupus Erythematosus? Ankylosing Spondylitits? Psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis? Breast Cancer?
HLA B27 gene seen in Uveitis and the enteropathic arthropathies and sero negative spondyloarthropathies?
a history of Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis?
do you have the herpes Sx virus either sexually or orally? (2 different viruses)?

usually vision will return to about normal once the inflammation is gone and after about 2 weeks or so once the eyedrops are out of your system.
Durezol is normally used for only a short period of time as it has the tendency to raise pressure inside the eye. steroids can too such as the oral steroids, injectible steroids and pred forte.
if you develop any pain or rainbow vison get into the opthalmologist right away.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
smakelainen

Post by smakelainen »

I am in the same boat, however I am now onto 7 weeks with drops/injections.. My vision has not come back yet either. I am currently being tested for other conditions that may cause this. Hang in there! :)
vp8951

Post by vp8951 »

Mike,

According to the doctors, my case was very evolved. I am down to two drops a day on the Durezol and will finish up next week with one drop per day. Apparently, I was having no reaction to the PredForte. My pressure is being monitored weekly, and it has remained at 12 for the last couple. My grandfather had recurring bouts with Iritis in his mid-30's (about 5 years later than my first diagnosis); however, he does not have any of the other autoimmune issues that would cause it. I have been advised to wait and see if it recurrs before going through the process of testing. Hoping for a one time deal, but it looks like I may be genetically predispositioned for future issues. As for right now, I am showing no signs, and I am tapering off my meds to prevent a flair up. Still waiting on the vision to clear up; however, the new prescription seems to be working good.
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Once all meds are out of your system, vision should improve. Some folks NEVER have an answer to their issue. I still don't have a definitive answer, only blindness from undertreatment in both eyes, and a lot of joint pain, despite Humira. Am going to buy splints for my wrists this week. Good luck!
Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

it is highly unusual for a blood relative to develop uveitis especially around the same period of time.
this would possibly suggest that an environmental trigger is the cause, a virus or other pathogen.
the coincidence is just too stong to suggest this in my LAY opinion from an autoimmune perspective. Has your grandfather developed arthritis or GI problems? any skin rashes? Bullseye rash on the torso?
do you have animals that might have uveitis? any other autoimmune stuff going on in your immediate family members, aunts uncles etc on YOUR side of the family?
the dilating drop is most likely causing the change of vision. your vision will most likely return to where it was before you developed uveitis. it will take several weeks for your vision to return to where it was before the past bout of uveitis, that is of course as long as intra ocular pressure hasn't caused glaucoma like damage or other changes inside the eye cannot explain the change in vision.

it takes some people months to get back their vision. wait until you've been off all drugs for at at least a month before a refraction and new glasses. also buy the insurance because if you need a new prescription within SIX MONTHs, you get new glasses. also save your old prescription as sometimes it can be used later on while in flare up. I kept about 4 scripts and changed between them to be able to see when My uveitis was active.

Wsih you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

MIke-

Glad you're back. Hope all is well. Good advice about the insurance and saving prescriptions. Wish I'd thought of insurance....

Mary