Gluten Free Diet & Uveitis

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

lw5378

Gluten Free Diet & Uveitis

Post by lw5378 »

Hello,

I want to share my story on how the gluten free diet improved my health. A year and 1/2 ago I was diagnosed with bilateral chronic uveitis. At the same time, I was experiencing SEVERE back pain. After undergoing many tests (spondylitis, lupus, arthritis), I still did not have an answer (all came back negative although I am HLA-B27 positive). My uveitis flare ups were so severe that I was up to 100mg of oral steroids (prednisone) and pred forte drops every hour at times.

Six months ago I was tested for Celiac disease which came back negative. I decided to try the gluten free diet anyway (at this point I was told that the next drug of choice would be methotrexate and I was willing to do anything to avoid this). About 2 months into the diet, my back pain went from a 10 on the pain scale to a 0. And six months in, my eyes are quiet.

I am not suggesting that this is the answer for everyone, but it is worth a try if you are suffering. I also recognize that a healthy diet (which consists of many vegetables and no processed foods) may be part of the reason for my improvement (the gluten free diet is low-carb and you cannot eat most processed foods). I am truly amazed by my improvements, and it would be worth all of the frustration and pain if I could help at least one person out there. Good luck-
columbo

Re: Gluten Free Diet & Uveitis

Post by columbo »

Wow,

My experience and situation is very similar to yours. I am 47. I had Iritis about 5 years ago and was able to get it under control after about 2-3 months of pred-forte drops. However, even after the iritis ended, I would still have these eye pains and red patches on my eye show up every now and then (maybe one episode every two weeks to 1 month). In addition to this, I would also have frequent headaches, back pain, and frequent hip joint pain (so severe that sometimes I could not walk well). What did all these symptoms have in common? Answer...inflammation! One of my co-workers had been bothered by stomach pains and joint pains and going gluten free completely cured her even though she was not diagnosed with celiac. Then I decided to try it, and after going gluten free for a few months, the eye pains are gone, joint pains gone, and I almost never have headaches. I can't believe how much better I feel all due to eliminating foods containing wheat and barley gluten. I have read that this protein is especially difficult for some people to digest. It then gets into the blood stream where the immune system sees it as a foreign substance and goes on the attack. In the process though, healthy cells also get attacked causing inflammation and pain that can manifest itself in various ways. As you mentioned, gluten is probably not the culprit for many people who suffer from iritis, but going gluten free for 3-6 months is something worth trying.

Greg
pupino

Post by pupino »

It's so interesting that you had problems with gluten even though neither of you had Celiac disease. I'm growing more and more convinced that gluten causes a whole slew of health problems. I'm sure it was difficult to switch to a gluten-free diet, but the health benefits would be so worth it, especially if it solved health problems without prescription medication. Prescriptions require temporary medical insurance and we don't all have that. I'm going to the diet. I'll keep you posted on my results.
columbo

Post by columbo »

Pupino, I am still mostly gluten free and when I cheat, the symptoms start to come back so there is definitely a connection in my case. Be sure to keep us informed of your results after going gluten free. Give it time. It might take anywhere from 1-3 months or before you start to notice significant results. It is a healthier diet anyway in that it steers you away from processed foods.

Greg
Jemima Harrison

Post by Jemima Harrison »

Hi all

My uveitis has also resolved on a gluten-free diet (also wheat-free/low starch/low carb) and I also have tested negative for coeliac.

My uveitis was thought to be linked to anti-phospholipid syndrome - for which I tested strongly positive. (0-9 normal - with my two tests nine months apart coming in at 36 and 94 respectively). The APS has also resolved on the same diet. Last test came back at 0. APS also immune-mediated.

I am looking for case histories of uveitis that has resolved on a gluten/wheat-free diet and or low-starch/low carb diet as I have a researcher at Imperial College, London, interested in pursuing for a pilot study.

The diet that I have been following in particular is the Primal Blueprint diet. Apart for curing the uveitis and the APS, I have lost 60lbs (needed to...!) and feel so much better all-round. A touch of arthritis that I think was also immune-mediated (although could of course have been weight-related) has also disappeared.

If your uveitis has also been helped by diet (or conversely has been made worse), I would love to hear from you. Please email : jem[AT]jemimaharrison.co.uk

Jemima
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you might want to watch for Sarcoidosis as an underlying disease process when Celiac (coeliac disease in the UK) or gluten intolerance is present. Anti phospholipid syndrome also occurs at a much higher rate in Sarcoidosis, amyloid deposits are found in granulomas related to sarcoidosis too.
if your uveitis is granulomatus in nature the likelihood of an underlying disease is increased a well.
in London, Professor William Ayliffe is the top Ocular immunologist in the UK. his contact information can be found at http://www.uveitis.org on the international Specilaist list in the Patient information section of the site.

Wishing you the very best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
Jemima Harrison

Hi Mike

I have been tested for all the possible underlying conditions that can cause uveitis and am negative for all (inc sarcoidosis) except for APS - and should say that my lupus anti-coagulant is moderately elevated too.

Jemima
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

the only test that is specific for sarcoidosis is a biopsy of a granuloma. one can have NO lung involvement with Sarcoidosis BTW. ACE is often within normal limits. the first presenting signs can be related to CNS and vascular disease, sometimes tinnitus and uveitis along with arthritis of the hands are first presenting symptoms along with granulomatus uveitis, or severe dry eyes etc

there are over 85 things directly linked to uveitis. usually only about 4 or 5 are tested for in the initial work up.
usually STD panel, and perhaps a lyme disease panel or TB test. sometimes a histoplasmosis test or valley fever test are done along with an ANA basic test. ANA can take decadades to appear and can be suppressed by steroid use so it is frequently negative on testing. some don't test for HLA B27 for example or ask the right questions such as are cats or dogs pets, have you been out of the USA where TB is present or other pathogens are present such as West Nile Virus, Dengue fever, malaria, leprosy. leptospirosis, toxocara canis or Catis, catscratch disease, ring worms etc. do family members have MS, sarcoidosis. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or other familial disease processes going on like crohn's, ulcerative colitis, ankylosing spondylitis, celiac disease, psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis, Blau syndrome, reactive arthritis, systemic sclerosis, cowden's disease etc

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Jemima Harrison

Tested for a fair few of these. However, ALL symptoms have now resolved on the diet, which I started last April 1st. Before that the uveitis was unrelentingly progressive.

Unfortunately, complications secondary to the uveitis (some as a result of high dose steroids) have left me blind in my right eye. Left eye totally quiet (after a small amount of inflammation noted prior to the diet).

I am off all medication now.

Jemima
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I'm blind in my left eye too from complications to under treated uveitis and steroids causing glaucoma, epiretinal membranes, Cystoid macular edema etc to occur.

I wish I'd known about a steroid only approach to treatment years ago and how it can blind you so that all of this wouldn't have occured through use of MODERN treatment of uveitis rather than just steroids or allowing to smolder telling me it would 'burn out', It did finally burn out about 4 years ago but it nearly blinded me in both eyes.

mike
Mike Bartolatz
columbo

Post by columbo »

Jemima,

I believe a lot of autoimmune diseases are diet related. Obviously not all, but many disease processes and inflammation are likely traced to diet as the root cause. Most doctors wont pursue the underlying cause, but just want to treat the symptoms with medicine. Like you, I can't believe how much better I feel just by eliminating certain foods (especially those containing gluten) and sticking to mostly fruits, vegetables, lean meats and nuts.

Greg
Ckramer

Post by Ckramer »

This is all very interesting to me. Our son is 13 years old, and has been having flare ups with extremely high left eye pressure, for a couple of years. He is HLA- B27 positive, and after lots of prednisolone/combigan/lumigan drops, they put him on Methotrexate. He has almost been on it a year, and is also on prednisolone/combigan, 1 drop each, Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings. His pressure is finally stable, and he has no inflammation in that eye as of last check-up. But let's face it, we are pumping him full of nasty drugs/drops. Anymore testimonies? I would love to hear them!!
Jemima Harrison

There is now a Facebook page where people can discuss links (perceived or real!) between diet and uveitis, if anyone would like to join us there.

In the hope that it's OK to give the link:

https://www.facebook.com/UveitisDietResearch

Jemima
frankthedsigner

Post by frankthedsigner »

columbo wrote:Jemima,

I believe a lot of autoimmune diseases are diet related. Obviously not all, but many disease processes and inflammation are likely traced to diet as the root cause. Most doctors wont pursue the underlying cause, but just want to treat the symptoms with medicine. Like you, I can't believe how much better I feel just by eliminating certain foods (especially those containing gluten) and sticking to mostly fruits, vegetables, lean meats and nuts.

Greg

Hi Jemima, I am glad you brought up the Primal Blueprint diet! I was advised by a friend to start the diet before I even knew that I had AAU/AS. I was on the Primal diet for about 6 months and I can't describe to anyone how great I felt. Unfortunately I stopped it and started eating processed foods again and about a month after stopping the diet I had my first flare-up. I am definitely going back onto the Primal diet, but I am finding it very difficult to change my eating habits due to financial restraints. Do you have any advice on how to get into it again with someone on a tight budget?
summerleek

Post by summerleek »

After sticking with the NSD for nearly a year with only limited success, I took an in-depth food intolerance test (not a blood test, but one that tests 200+ foods, spices, etc), and was told to avoid several key things. Within weeks, my chronically flared eye was quiet, and my severe back and rib pain was GONE, and now get a flareup if I have ingested even the slightest bit of my foods within a day.

Here is the list of foods that I was told to avoid. I highly recommend you get the test ASAP.

Nightshades - Potato, Tomato, Peppers, Eggplant (also paprika, chili spices, etc)
Wheat
Gluten
Cow Dairy (Goat/Sheep is ok)
Corn

I can't recommend everyone to get tested, and see if you are able to control your flares with diet as well as I have. I wish you all the very best in your health!