Detached Retina

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Rustyfj

Detached Retina

Post by Rustyfj »

Hi to Every one

I was told last week I had a detached retina ,have had Irtis on and off for 20 years went to get all clear ,from Doctor but woke up and could not see out of left eye,
told to come strait in and I was told I was blind in the left eye and needed surgery right now to fix the detached retina ,been a week now and have a bit of sight back ,we take our sight for granted ,but from now on I will not,and one in same boat as me.
Russell
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Detached Retina

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Rusty,\
I've been out of town for the past week so I couldn't resond. sorry about the detached retina. what caused it? did you develop Cystoid macular Edema or neovascular membranes or was it traction on the retina from the vitreous membrane?. having some sight is a plus as the eye is alive. I didn't develop detachment but have had some bleeding in one eye. I'm considered to be blind in one eye by the Veteran's administration with other problems in my 'good eye' with reduced vision in it.
how is your good eye doing? do you have any underlying disease causing the uveitis over the past 20 years?

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Rustyfj

Post by Rustyfj »

Have been told nothing have had 2 operations on the eye now we all hope it has worked,have a bit of vision now,Drs will not admit nothing ,all I was told it was my age and the eye infection I have had, ever one has been good to me ,not being able to drive hurts the most ,the good eye is great makes up for the other one ,down side is get tired all the time.not like me , this site has been a god send to me with all the information on it.
Russell
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Russell.,
where do you live? it sounds like it is time to get a real expert invovled in your care, someone willing to shed light on your uveitis and to educate YOU for a change as to WHY you have iritis and why have you developed detached retina. this is mostly from Cystoid Macular edema or from vascularization of the retina. it sounds like neither has been treated in the past and there IS treatment with medication such as Avastin injected into the eye to stop progression of the inflammation. when inflammation is in the back of the eye, it has to be treated with DMARD Drugs methotrexate or cellcept etc.
have they suggested possible connection to disease that could explain why you are so tired now? have they ordered routine blood tests to see if you have a lot of inflammation present etc?
has your primary care doctor been informed by your eye doctors as to what MIGHT be linked to your eye disease and how to treat it?

I am concerned,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
Rustyfj

Post by Rustyfj »

All good not eye surgeon is great they had to put a oil in the eye to help it bond back to retina have sight out of all thought it is blurry,have been told 17 week wait ,but might be able to go back to work ,I look after a primary school children crossing ,as where I live in Tasmania ,Australian,until this year if this happen I would have had to fly to Melbourne for operations ,but as luck has it we have a new Surgeon hear he is well traveled and a lot of experience in this field, and a real nice bloke he always shakes hand with you and ask how I am in general,and how family is,real down to earth type of guy,thanks for you friendship on this site.
Regards Russell
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I hope your recovery goes well for you Russel. I also pray the pain has subsided from the surgery and that your vision will return in the damaged eye. it is good to know that you can see some through it at this time as this is a good sign. some vision is better than no vison at all . in my state you can drive with only one eye so you can function pretty well. I have major loss of vision in my left eye but see fairly well, enough to drive to the doctor etc through my right eye.

the long wait to recover goes slowly. I hope you have friends to chat with during the day to make things move along quickly for you.

best wishes,
mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz
Rustyfj

Post by Rustyfj »

Hi Things have not gone as well as we all hoped lost of 40% long vision ,but still have that 60% to try and fix with Glasses ,Surgeon thought I would have lost more due to the way the retina detached,has not stopped me from working and ,the eye test so I could drive was simple ,driving again no far mind you ,still a bit scary at times,will get better with time,this forum you run is great help to me knowing that it is there and others have been there as well ,friends and family have been great-to me ,wife said like living with a old grump at time,but she understands,as she is a aged career,in a nursing home.
Warmest Regards Russell
Down under ( Australia )
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Russell,
I hope you regain some more vision with glasses. you have been through a lot. I just wish that doctors would have treated your eyes with DMARD drugs to stop the inflammatory process before it progressed to detached retina.
please let me know how you progress. We are here to help if we can.

Take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz