I'll be Back on Top SOON!!

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

mtbargeman

I'll be Back on Top SOON!!

Post by mtbargeman »

Hey Yall!!

I just learned that I am allowed to practice as a Certified Nurse Aide, or other Nursing profession in my state, as long as I re-certify. A ten-degree visual field does not preclude me from working! I asked. My VR counselor from DBVI is going to help me get what I need to do that, and help me find work as a personal care assistant or CNA, with the adaptive equipment I would need. AMplified stethoscope, since I am hard of hearing, talking BP monitor, perhaps a little clip-on, flip-up magnifier for my glasses. I reckon the old saying is right- whenever one door closes, another one opens. I am SO excited! I don't have to go back thru school, just get proof of prior certification and then take the test. AWESOME!!!!! SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I look forward to working again. I love the field of study I chose so long ago, and I love the close patient contact that a CNA has- no other caregiver has such a close personal relationship with people who really need empathy, not sympathy. I love this work. It's as happy for me as writing. I am at my best when I am caring for others in some way. It makes me feel worthwhile and validated. It feels good to know I have helped someone, even a little. SOmetimes, a bit of understanding and care is what we need to keep fighting whatever it is we need to fight. Sometimes, knowing we helped someone fight their fight makes us stronger for our own fight, no matter what it may be.

Keep Your HEads Up, FOlks- Better Days ARE Coming.
MAry
Mike Bartolatz

Re: I'll be Back on Top SOON!!

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

that's great news Mary!
please remind the testing person that you should be allowed to do an ORAL test since your vision is so impaired. if required a translator could be provided as well. this would give you additional time to accomplish the test.

wish you the best my friend,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Mike-
I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me! That will be a big help- it would actually cause me to finish the test faster!

This is going to be so awesome!!!
Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

some years ago I had An IQ test administered by a psychologist at the request of the Division of Voc Rehab and I was given the test much of which was given orally. I have to say that I tested much higher because of this even while on anti depressants which tend to lower IQ's as they impact memory. I was actually shocked at how high the test results were before allowing for the anti depressant med.

start cramming for the test. I'm sure much has changed since you went to college for the CNA stuff.

Thanks for watching the site while I was on Vacation too.
I've been having some health concerns with balance issues etc, hopefully a course of antibiotics will clear this up. tomorrow I have a doctors appointment to address this and other 'issues'. then on wednesday I get the ultra sound of my carotid arteries with follow up with eye clinic after the test. if the test is negative then a MRI will be done on my neck and brain to see if there is a blockage causing my 'white outs'

Take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Mike-

Make sure to pay close attention to your inner ears, as well. My problem ended up being my inner ears. Valium helps the constant vertigo a lot, as does balance re-training therapy 9 which I absolutely LOATHED!) and dancing, believe it or not. I discovered the dancing last fall, and it has made a significant difference in retraining my brain to keep me upright, and I need less Valium to keep my equilibrium. I'll gladly discuss it further with you off-list, if you want to know about the re-training of the balance system.

Nothing has changed with respect to CNA's that I can find. My study guide will soon be here. The only change is the use of a transfer belt, rather than the traditional way of getting people up, which is to sit them up to dangle for a few moments, let them place their hands on your shoulders, take them under the arms, and basically bulldog them (gently) to the chair or bedside toilet. That is truly the only change in almost fifteen years! That is fine. I am so excited to finally have things working for me. And very lucky to have friends rooting for me and cheering me on.

Thanks, Mike.

Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Well yesterday I mowed the lawn and the 'white out' happened again. then it went to major distortion of vision and back to white out. repeated about 6 times. couldn't find my clothes sitting on my bed last night after I took my shower. balance was way off and no strength in my feet as I could stand on tip toes without them collapsing. this morning vision was allot better with color in right eye darker than the left. no balance issues. went to opth. exam and had my carotid artery ultrasound today. normal carotid arteries so they are sending me for neuro opthalmological exam. should hear about appointment in a week or so. I guess I have to make sure I don't overheat at all. I was resting periodically and drinking ice water while working on the yard so I don't know why this happened. years ago it was VERY hot when I had my first uhthoff's event. it has been very cool here in the Pacific Northwest and yesterday was back in the mid 70's. I was sweating but I didn't feel 'hot' so to speak.

glad things are falling into place with the CNA stuff for you. how are AJ and the Boys ?

wish you the best my friend,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Mike-

Aj, Chris and Amanda say Hi. Everyone is fine. I have heard of some folks having the Uthoff's symptom when there is a little shock to the system. Working hard enough to sweat, whether it is hot enough to cause the symptom or not, and then drinking ice water has caused that symptom in some people. Not saying that is the case with you, but hoping it is quite benign.

Often times, vision issues can throw the balance off, because what you see is distorted or diminished in some way. This sends an odd or incorrect signal to the brain, thus causing the body to temporarily "forget" where it is in space. This causes dizziness, balance distortion, and nausea. I'll be rooting for you, Friend. AJ is rooting for you, too. Keep us updated.

(((((HUGS)))))

Mary