Iritis Good news

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

ang444

Iritis Good news

Post by ang444 »

I was diagnosed with Iritis shortly after the birth of my son in 1996. From then on I had about three episodes a year, regular as clockwork usually around March, in the Autumn and around Christmas, and also always after a cold or viral infection it seemed. I ignored the first as I thought it was conjunctivitis but when it recurred I was sent to the hospital to check it out. I had red eye, pain, dislike of bright light and misty vision. I was given dilating drops, pred forte and cream for overnight and told to put drops in two hourly and taper 4,3,2,1 over four weeks. All tests came back negative, so I still have no idea what caused it. The Health Service were great and when I felt a flare coming on would allow me to phone and get an appointment quickly. My doctor gave me a prescription for pred forte so I could carry a bottle in my handbag should I need it. After a while I could recognise the pain before a flare up, I would test by holding up a finger in front of my face and moving it backwards and forwards, this would cause pain when focussing. Within a day or so of the pain the iritis would flare up. I found that the sooner I treated my eye the better it was as I could prevent a really bad flare up. I was advised by my doctor that a lot of people "grow out of iritis". The good news is that I have now had over two iritis free years. I learnt always to treat early, always take the course as instructed. On one occasion only I got iritis in one eye just after the other, but at all other times only had it in the one eye, so I was able to work. In the early days though, I remember I was very concerned that the iritis would effect my eyesight and worried about the side effects of the drops. Again, hopefully I can put some people's concerns to rest. My eyesight is as good as it ever was prior to iritis, and, although I must have taken gallons of pred forte over the years I have had no ill effects from it. Hoping this may help those of you newly diagnosed. Ang